The ONLY way to influence those above you is by connecting with them. Relationship skills define 360 leaders and separate them from other leaders. Remember, people won’t go along with you if they can’t get along with you.
Listen to your leader’s heartbeat.
Support your leader’s vision.
- Promote your leaders dream and your leader will promote you.
- Every time another person in the organization embraces the vision and passes it own, it’s like giving the vision “fresh legs”.
Question: How do you support your leader's vision when you don't agree with it? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Earn your leader’s trust.
- Trust is the foundation for every relationship
- Remove trust for the relationship and that relationship is in trouble.
Question: How do you earn the trust of others? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Learn to work with your leader’s weaknesses.
- You cannot make someone feel important if you secretly feel he’s a nobody.
- Whatever you believe and perceive about a person will be communicated.
- In the same way, you cannot build a positive relationship with your boss if you disrespect them because of their weaknesses. Everyone has weak areas or blind spots, why not learn how to work with them?
I was running a mentoring workshop recently for a Singaporean organization with their senior leadership team. And I asked the Chief Executive if he would demonstrate with me at the front of the room and allow me to mentor him, in the workshop about his weaknesses.
He was a little shocked and confided that he couldn’t reveal his weaknesses to his team, as then they would know his weaknesses.
And I replied. “No, you’ve got it wrong, this isn’t a REVELATION moment. It’s a RELIEF moment. Your team isn’t going to saying ‘well I never knew that, who would have realized’, no they’ll be relieved. “Thank God, he knows. Nobody has to tell him.”
You see everyone has weak areas or blind spots. Showing your inner circle that you know and either you’re working on them or that you need help in these areas actually inspires people to follow you. When we look in the mirror it is always with rose tinted spectacles. We look for the good and if we don’t like what we see, we stop looking in the mirror. Other people though, they see us in all our non-reflected glory, warts and all. And for most people, we tend to focus on the negative. It’s easy to spot someone’s flaws.
Has anyone here had a leader who comes o them and asks: ”Please, tell me what you think my weaknesses are”. And you have a list ready to hand over. In fact, here’s a ream of them…
Understand that your leader has weaknesses. And remember that you have them also.