Most individuals, who seek coaching for themselves, are going through (or about to embark on) a transition in his or her life:
- Taking on a new role or responsibility, or starting in a new industry where you have little experience, but need to gain the skills and experience quickly when you are expected to hit the ground running.
- When needing a personal assessment to determine your strengths and weaknesses, and consider what you should be doing in order to maximise your potential.
- When striving for promotion or a new position.
- When needing to talk through your thought processes, strategies, and plans in order to move forward.
- When struggling with certain skills and performance areas, and you wish to improve.
- When feeling you have reached a plateau in your career and wanted to explore options.
Organisations sponsored coaching tend to use external coaches for their more senior leaders and internal coaches for more junior staff. Fortunately, many organisations realise the benefits of coaching to strengthen and enhance good performance; a few still think of coaching as the last resort to “fix issues.”